|Dr. Karen Siris
I hope you are all getting back to “normal” after Hurricane Sandy and the recent snow storm. We continue to be here to offer support to you and your children. Please reach out to us in any way you think we could be helpful.
I would like to remind you that due to the loss of school days, Oceanside School District is open Tuesday, February 19th through Friday, February 22nd. Regular classroom instruction will continue during this week of school.
As if the forces of Mother Nature were not enough, we faced another frightening and terribly sad event with the shootings in Newtown, Connecticut. The Sandy Hook Elementary School was so much like our own, that it was especially painful.
The physical safety of your children while at school is of utmost importance to us, as well as their social and emotional well being. In light of the tragedy in Connecticut, we have taken a closer look at our procedures at school. We have had one lockdown drill since the event and have another one planned in the near future. We will continue to be vigilant in this area .
Please be cooperative with our front office and lobby personnel as we work to keep our school safe. All doors of our complex are locked after morning arrival. Please adhere to the following procedures when you visit us:
- Ring front door buzzer
- Respond to the questions posed by front desk monitor by speaking into the speaker to the right of the outer door
- Display your ID in the camera if asked to do so
- Have your license ready to leave at the front desk during your visit
- Wear the sticker you are given throughout your visit
- Sign in at the front desk
- Sign out at the front desk
Once again, I ask you for your cooperation at dismissal time:
- IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU PARK YOUR CARS IN A LEGAL PARKING SPOT AND COME TO THE PICK-UP AREA IN THE REAR OF OUR BUILDING TO SAFELY PICK UP YOUR CHILDREN AFTER SCHOOL
- THE LADIES IN THE BACK OF THE BUILDING DIRECTING TRAFFIC ARE THERE FOR THE SAFETY OF ALL. PLEASE TREAT THEM WITH RESPECT AND COURTESY. THEY ARE FOLLOWING THE DIRECTIONS OF THE SCHOOL DISTRICT
Most of the other schools in the district close off their parking lots to parents at the end of the day. If we feel the safety of our children is a risk, we will begin the same procedures at our school. Again, thank you in advance for your cooperation and kindness.
Spring is just around the corner. Hope to see you all soon.
Karen Siris, Ed.D